Citizenship and critical news literacy - the role of news in a democracy
Half-day development course for KS2 and secondary teachers.
Sessions will focus on the role of journalism to inform, hold power to account and provide stories that are accurate and trustworthy.
You will take part in practical workshops, meet journalists and equip yourself with strategies, ideas and classroom resources to support young people in navigating the news.
Course outline (subject to last minute changes and alterations):
- Introduction - the contexts for citizenship and media and news literacy
- Workshop - How is news reported and presented?; Create your own news front page news (take part in a newspaper editing workshop with feedback from a journalist)
- The Windrush case study - holding power to account
- Use of social media and user generated content with Guardian journalist
- Navigating the news workshop/session
- Plenary, resources and ideas exchange and evaluation
- Optional editorial tour of the Guardian
90 York Way
London, N1 9GU
|Event Fee||£ 30.00|
Help spread the word