Developing your knowledge for teaching Citizenship - Part 2
This is the second of a three part series of CPD sessions that will support teachers who are new to Citizenship
About this event
In the second workshop of our 3 part series, we will look at how to incorporate Citizenship knowledge within your lessons and planning.
This session will focus on democracy, one of the core concepts of Citizenship and a fundamental British value. The session will explore the complex nature of democracy and the multi-faceted levels of knowledge attached to the concept. We will also look at how this can be developed through the curriculum and demonstrate students’ progression.
Who is it for?
Teachers new to Citizenship, and those looking to develop their understanding of how to teach the subject.
By the end of this workshop you will:
- Increase your understanding of the interplay between knowledge and concepts.
- Gain practical skills that will help you build powerful knowledge around Citizenship concepts for lessons.
This workshop supports the CCF and ECF in the following ways:
- Discussing and analysing with expert colleagues how to sequence lessons so that pupils secure foundational knowledge before encountering more complex content.
- Discussing and analysing with expert colleagues how to identify possible misconceptions and plan how to prevent these from forming.
- Increasing challenge with practice and retrieval as knowledge becomes more secure (e.g. by removing scaffolding, lengthening space or introducing interacting elements).
- Providing opportunities for all pupils to learn and master essential concepts, knowledge, skills and principles of the subject.
- Being aware of common misconceptions and discussing with expert colleagues how to help pupils master important concepts.
- Discussing and analysing with expert colleagues how to revisit the big ideas of the subject over time and teach key concepts through a range of examples.
- Drawing explicit links between new content and the core concepts and principles in the subject.
- Enabling critical thinking and problem solving by first teaching the necessary foundational content knowledge.
CPD strand – Introduction to Citizenship
This strand is designed for anybody who is new to the subject, from ITE trainees to experienced teachers who are teaching Citizenship for the first time. These events will allow participants to develop their understanding of the core substantive knowledge of the subject, key concepts and best practice in pedagogy.
Meet the team who will be running this event
Professor Lee Jerome
Head of Education and Professional Development
These are some of the questions we are most often asked about our training sessions. If you have other questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch and we will be happy to help.