How to improve Active Citizenship outcomes
This workshop is designed for teachers looking to improve outcomes on the Active Citizenship section of the examination paper.
About this event
The Active Citizenship Investigation is a unique element of GCSE Citizenship Studies, and therefore requires specialist subject knowledge and experience to ensure that students are fully prepared to take their learning from the investigation into the examination.
In this workshop, working with Vice Principal, and experienced Citizenship teacher, Kelly Allchin. Participants will explore the sections of the investigation that really matter when it comes to the examination. Focusing on how to prepare the students, leading to improved outcomes in this area.
Who is it for?
This workshop is ideal for anybody who teaches GCSE Citizenship Studies, Citizenship Leads and those with responsibility for raising outcomes in the subject.
By attending this workshop you will:
- Gain a greater understanding of the demands of the Active Citizenship section of the examination paper
- Develop greater knowledge of how to link the practical investigation to the examination question
- Develop teaching methods to improve examination technique
- Receive practical advice, teaching ideas and resources to use in your classroom immediately
Links to the CCF and ECF criteria
This CPD will support the Initial Teacher Education Core Content Framework (CCF) and Early Career Framework (ECF), addressing the following areas:
- Discussing and analysing with expert colleagues how to identify possible misconceptions and planning how to prevent these forming.
- Linking what pupils already know to what is being taught (e.g. explaining how new content builds on what is already known).
- Discussing and analysing with expert colleagues the rationale for curriculum choices, the process for arriving at current curriculum choices and how the school’s curriculum materials inform lesson preparation.
- Providing opportunity for all pupils to learn and master essential concepts, knowledge, skills and principles of the subject.
- Discussing and analysing with expert colleagues how to revisit the big ideas of the subject over time and teach key concepts through a range of examples
CPD strand – GCSE Network
Building on our current strong network of GCSE teachers, we have developed a bespoke strand for members who teach GCSE Citizenship Studies. The focus of sessions will include improving outcomes for the Citizenship Investigation (active citizenship), examination technique, and opportunities for teachers to support each other with moderation of assessments.
Meet the team who will be running this event
Assistant Principal, Leeds City Academy
Head of Education and Professional Development (ACT)
These are some of the questions we are most often asked about our training sessions. If you have other questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch and we will be happy to help.