Where to start with GCSE Active Citizenship
Are you new to teaching GCSE? Do you need support with the Active Citizenship Investigation? Then join this workshop.
About this event
In this workshop, Kelly Allchin, an experienced Citizenship teacher and Assistant Principal for Personal Development in a large inner city school, will explain the process of an Active Citizenship Investigation and how this links to the GCSE Citizenship Studies examination paper. Participants will have the opportunity to discuss what makes a good topic of an investigation, how to develop students’ group work skills and how to plan lessons that ensure student progress in this important and unique area of GCSE Citizenship Studies.
Who is it for?
This workshop is ideal for any teacher who is new to teaching GCSE Citizenship Studies, those with little or no experience of teaching Active Citizenship Investigation, and those who would appreciate a chance to discuss this area of the course with other teachers and experienced session leaders .
By attending this workshop you will:
- Develop a deeper understanding of the expectations of the Active Citizenship Investigation element of GCSE Citizenship Studies
- Understand the connection between the examination paper and the Active Citizenship Investigation
- Leave with practical tools to use in your classroom
Links to the CCF and ECF criteria
This CPD will support the Initial Teacher Education Core Content Framework (CCF) and Early Career Framework (ECF), addressing the following areas:
- Discussing and analysing with expert colleagues how to identify possible misconceptions and planning how to prevent these forming.
- Linking what pupils already know to what is being taught (e.g. explaining how new content builds on what is already known).
- Discussing and analysing with expert colleagues the rationale for curriculum choices, the process for arriving at current curriculum choices and how the school’s curriculum materials inform lesson preparation.
- Providing opportunity for all pupils to learn and master essential concepts, knowledge, skills and principles of the subject.
- Discussing and analysing with expert colleagues how to revisit the big ideas of the subject over time and teach key concepts through a range of examples
CPD strand – GCSE Network
Building on our current strong network of GCSE teachers, we have developed a bespoke strand for members who teach GCSE Citizenship Studies. The focus of sessions will include improving outcomes for the Citizenship Investigation (active citizenship), examination technique, and opportunities for teachers to support each other with moderation of assessments.
Meet the team who will be running this event
Assistant Principal, Leeds City Academy
Head of Education and Professional Development (ACT)
These are some of the questions we are most often asked about our training sessions. If you have other questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch and we will be happy to help.