Conspiracy Theories in the Classroom - Guidance for teachers
This document aims to provide teachers with some general guidance on how schools might approach disinformation and conspiracy theories amongst pupils. It contains:
- summaries of some research in this area;
- discussion of general principles;
- ‘reactive’ guidance on how to handle situations when students raise conspiracy theories/ disinformation;
- proactive guidance on teaching about this topic;
- a deeper dive into the world of cognitive psychology and our biases, as well as a glossary of common conspiracy theories and links to free teaching materials.
The guidance is written by two lecturers at the Institute of Education, UCL who are both former teachers.
Jeremy Hayward also led a CPD webinar teachers in the summer of 2021.