Events CPD Training
Virtual Staffroom open citizenship forums for teachers
- Wednesday 30th September 4.30-5.30pm
- Wednesday 4th November
- Wednesday 24th November
Sign-up here (online sessions)
In our virtual staffrooms this term we'll discuss:
- How the new school term is going; GCSE Citizenship Studies; Oak National Academy Citizenship lessons; Black History month; Parliament week; Human rights day.
ACT ambassadors will be online to answer your questions and help with any support needs for citizenship teaching.
Adapt ACTive Citizenship Award Scheme
October 8th, 4.45-6pm
1 hour focused session to explore how to adapt ACTive citizenship projects whilst social distancing rules are in place. Sign-up here
With: Zoe Baker, our Secondary Lead and Emily Owen, Regional Ambassador
An opportunity to explore the ACTive Citizenship Award Scheme in association with First News, and adaptations made to allow this to take place safely given the new public health considerations.
Suitable for both primary and secondary teachers, as well as those who are responsible for enrichment activities, PSHE, Careers and student councils.
GCSE Active Citizenship Projects in light of new guidance
Tuesday 13th October 5-6pm
Zoe Baker will lead an interactive workshop on how to adapt the Active Citizenship element of the GCSE Citizenship Studies courses in light of the most recent updates from OFQUAL and the examination boards. Learn:
- -How to structure this section of the course
- -How to adapt the type of activity you may have used with students in previous years
- -An introduction to the unit on Oak National which accompanies this section of the specification.
Sign-up here *When registering for this workshop please state which examination board you follow.
Media Literacy CPD with support from the US Embassy in London
This course is now complete. A new course will run in the in the new year.
Please email: info@teaching citizenship.org.uk to register your interest.
This course is designed by two ACT teachers Helen Blachford and Bryden Joy. The course is for secondary teachers who are looking to build their subject knowledge and pedagogy to teach media literacy through citizenship. Sessions will address both national curriculum and GCSE requirements in relation to teaching about the media and building pupils media literacy and digital literacy skills.
Teachers will become:
-confident in using key terms to teach media literacy
-adept at using critical thinking and other pedagogies
-skilled at using news and media topical issues to build resilience and counter negative news effects
For those who complete all 3 parts you will receive an official CPD certificate from ACT, endorsed by the US Embassy
This event has already taken place
GCSE Masterclass with Exam Board Experts
Tuesday 22nd September 5 - 6.30pm
Two 45 minute slots, online via Zoom Sign-up here
Led by: Zoe Baker, our Secondary Lead, and our regional ambassadors; experts in the different examination specifications. We will consider the pressure the pandemic has put on the 2021 cohort of citizenship studies candidates, and how to help them in the months leading up to the exams.
- Session 1: General strategies for teaching this year (45 mins)
- Generic exam skills and catchup ideas for this year how to make up lost time,
- Session 2: Breakout rooms with exam board specialists (45 mins)
- Regional Ambassadors will lead workshops for each specification they are experts in. These will focus on specific exam technique around certain questions, writing frames etc.
- Ending with: a short plenary session with all participants returning to main group
Sign-up here *When registering please specify the examination board you are using and any particular concerns you have so we can try and address these during the session.
Tailored school-based CPD