Expert Group for Citizenship
In 2013 Expert Subject Advisory Groups were set up to provide independent, strategic advice on the implementation of the revised National Curriculum in schools. These groups are recgonised by the DFE.
The Citizenship Subject Expert Group comprises teachers from primary and secondary schools, the Association for Citizenship Teaching (ACT), the Citizenship Foundation, the Parliamentary Education Service, higher education and Initial Teacher Education. Ofsted are also invited to meetings.
The Citizenship Group was Chaired by Liz Moorse, ACT Chief Executive and met regularly until 2019. Initially their work focussed on evaluating the teaching resources available to support high quality Citizenship teaching and the implications of the new freedoms for schools regarding the assessment of pupil progress and attainment in the subject.
More recently the Group put together guidance on teaching Prevent and Controversial Issues and has been working on a Strategic National Action Plan to ensure 'Citizenship is for All' pupils and not just for some. The Citizenship National Action Plan has been sent to the Secretary of State for Education urging government to working in partnership with Citizenship organisations to support better Citizenship education in all schools. The National Action Plan has the backing of many Citizenship organisations including: the Association for Citizenship Teaching, The Crick Centre, University of Sheffield, Citizenship Foundation and Active Citizens FE.
- National Action Plan - Citizenship for All!
- DFE proposed review of Citizenship 2016 - Expert Group recommendations
- The Prevent Duty and Controversial Issues: developing a curriculum response through Citizenship, 2015
- Resources and materials to support the revised National Curriculum for Citizenship 2014
- Assessment and Progression in Citizenship
- 'Citizenship ready' for secondary school - a leaflet to promote effective primary citizenship in the curriculum
- Videos - two members of the Expert Group speak about the new opportunities for teaching and assessing Citizenship
- Terms of reference and membership of the group